Monday, June 18, 2012

"Lizard"



The long awaited field trip to the science museum was underway. My class boarded the bus, anxious to explore science away from the classroom. Groups were separated and led by eager chaperones to explore various exhibits including space, electricity, weather etc.  Me, I got stuck with the group interested in squamates. You know, the small critters that crawl up branches, hiding themselves  among the bark and leaves from predators. Justin, Mr. Scientist himself, was quick to point out that the Squamates were "camouflaging".   As we approached the first cage, not a creature in sight,  The next cage, again just remnants of a tree, no critters.  By the third cage I started thinking, "boring".  As I began to stroll to the next cage, I was startled by a quick movement. I whipped my head back towards the brown branch and noticed two eyes looking directly at me.  I leaped and screeched, too loudly in the once quiet exhibit floor. My friends ran by my side searching for the source of my scream. I pointed, "That thing, that squander, snake, reptile, thingy, whatever it is, it's watching me." These people, who I thought were my supportive classmates, covered their mouth and stifled a laugh, but they couldn't hide their shaking shoulders and giggles from me.  As the tour continued I was startled by the littlest movements by people or things. I never knew I had a fear, a fear of something so small, harmless and behind an enclosed barrier.  My classmates were eager to share the events of our (or at least my) day.  When we gathered back on the bus to head back to school, my partner called "Lizard", sit with me.  The bus exploded with laughter.  News sure does travel fast.  It was from that day that I earned my nickname and have been referred to as "Lizard" ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment