Tuesday, June 5, 2012

My Haven

Cliff Walk
Newport, Rhode Island

The large crevice of the Cliff Walk divides the land from the sea. On one side a blanket of green lawn stretches before massive homes and mansions. On the opposite side, lying far below are the crashing waves of the Atlantic Ocean.  The thunderous roar of waves and the squeaks of the seagulls fill the air.  Looking below, the vast water varies from shades of blue to almost black as the depths of the ocean reaches further beneath the surface. Rapidly, the white caps of the waves roll in, approaching the rock and shore. As the water crashes I shutter from the frigid water that sprays on my warm skin leaving behind the remnants of salt. I seek a flat rock to listen to the calming sounds of the ocean. I breathe in the salt air, listen to crashing waves and escape to a place where there are no worries.  I am relaxed.

1 comment:

  1. Love the descriptive detail and strong vocabulary. Words like "crashing" "thunderous" and "vast" help evoke the image of the ocean in the reader's mind Do you think all the reading you are doing is helping with your writing?

    ReplyDelete