Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Car Crisis #2




 
Sitting off the side of highway 9 on a patch of itchy burnt grass, my son says smiling, "This is exciting mom; breaking down, no brakes." He was not sitting in the driver's seat when the car just completely turned off.  No power steering or brakes. Thankfully I was able to slow down enough in the breakdown lane to pull into an abandoned parking lot and pull the emergency brake.  Ah, breathe, in out in out. We were safe. 
 
Now, think.  
We need a tow truck. 
Damn, I don't have AAA. 
Luckily I do have a dependable friend who I can trust and fall back onto when such a crisis arises. 
 
Sitting beside our car a dragonfly landed on my arm..."good luck" my kids yell. Really? How is the situation we are in at the moment lucky, I wonder, and realize we are very fortunate.  First, we had just gotten off interstate 495 onto a small highway.  We were in a parking lot, not the side of the road, we broke down in the town we live in, only 5 minutes from home, and Reggie has Triple AAA.
 
Waiting for the service truck to arrive another lucky creature landed on me, a lady bug. Reggie then arrived, assuring us the tow truck was coming shortly and then took my kids to pick up some lunch so we could have a road side picnic.  As always, I was prepared with a book emergency. I took out my book and read a few chapters to de-stress.  Yes, we were lucky today!
 
I'm not so sure how lucky I will feel when I am without a car, but living in the moment I felt very fortunate and thankful.   
 

Join slicers at Two Writing Teachers
every Tuesday for the Slice of Life Challenge ...


3 comments:

  1. You were indeed blessed. I hope your car gets repaired quickly. Thank goodness for a good friend and a good book. Both helped out in your time of need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One back luck moment followed by many good luck moments - lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What would we do without the dragonfly and the lady bug. I am so glad you and your family were not hurt. Sounds like you were lucky indeed.

    ReplyDelete