Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Be Someone's Hero

Tuesday Slice of Life Challenge ...
I am excited to explore my newest passion, writing,
with slicers from Two Writing Teachers.
 
 

A hero is a person of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.  (Dictionary.com)




My hero?...I have a number of people I admire, look up to, and aspire to be like.

I am a big fan of authors. Sharon Creech, Kate Dicamillo, Eve Bunting, Linda Urban, Tim Green, and Donalyn Miller are just a few of the many talented writers that I truly respect. It is evident through the images they create through writing that they are talented, dedicated, hard working, creative and have a passion for what they do.  They are an inspiration. Today our classroom had the pleasure to meet a hero via Skype. Lynda Mullaly Hunt, author of a favorite book of mine, One For the Murphy's was kind enough to make time for us and share her story, her personal story as a young girl, mom and writer. Lynda is an artistic writer.  When you read her words you live the character's life.  Thank you for your honesty and down to earth nature.  We were honored to be invited into your life as if we were old friends.  An inspiration to me and my students.

I have never met Amy Block, mother of 9 children. I know of her and her amazing family from her blog Building the Blocks . She uprooted her family from the United States and is now living, teaching, and creating a ministry in Guatemala, where two of her children were born. It takes faith, courage, and compassion to lead the life she has chosen. Her dedication to children of the world is commendable and selfless.  If we could all possess just a fraction of her compassion the world would be a better place.

A strong man who has an unconditional love for children and sports would describe my dad.  Unfortunately it was not until I was older that I saw the love, attention and interest for his grandchildren that I understood his strength.  His nightly calls to talk, question, read and sing with his grandchildren modeled what was important, they were.  His grandchildren are the light of his life.  He follows and watches (when he can) every sporting event they participate. He brags to his friends about how smart his grandkids are.  Even now when recovering from a stroke, the best therapy is seeing his grandchildren. His eyes light up with recognition, his mouth turns up into a smile, and a story emerges from his lips about his grandchild. He shows the strength and determination to learn language again so he can again model the traits of what is important in life.

My mom, is amazing.  She is giving, generous, and strong.  She never forgets a birthday, sympathy or congratulations card even when trying to manage my father’s stroke rehabilitation.  She never fails to present a gift for a new baby, graduation, or birthday even when she’s overwhelmed with doctors, therapists, and medications. She cares for grandchildren, a dog, the house, the yard.  She does it all even when she’s exhausted andworking part time as a substitute teacher. My mother makes every person in her life feel special. Putting others first makes her a heroic person in my eyes.

Thank you to my heroes for being who you are and inspiring others to be themselves.  If I could encapture the generosity of my mother, the strength of my dad, the courage of Amy and the ability to create images with words as authors do, I would be one hell of an amazing person.  I would be someone’s hero!


No comments:

Post a Comment