Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Screen Free Week

Tuesday Slice of Life Challenge ...
I am excited to explore my newest passion, writing,
with slicers from Two Writing Teachers.



This past week my family observed Screen Free Week.  Surprisingly I did it! I was screen free all week and enjoyed it.  My kids were successful until Friday night when they were invited to watch a movie at our neighbors.  I welcomed the break, so I bent the rules for them.


The guidelines state no screen time including television, movies, video games, computer & texting.  Television, video games and texting are not a problem for me since I do not partake in watching, playing or texting anyway (I text very little, and did allow for emergencies). My down fall is the computer. I am on my ipad way too much.  I read educational blogs and write a personal and classroom blog, but sometimes I am on it for no real purpose. I find myself checking and rechecking emails or tweets or playing Ruzzle.

During the week I allowed myself to check my e-mail in the morning and afternoon at school for work and kid scheduling purposes.  My slice of life, I hand wrote, but gave myself permission to type and submit it for the week.  The only time I felt a pull to get on the computer was when I questioned something and wanted to research information. The one true benefit of the Internet that I love and missed is having information at my finger tips and being able to obtain it.  Instant gratification.
I am so glad that I took a break from my computer this week.  I knew before, but now have evidence that I do NOT need my computer as I have used it in the past.  I want to change my habits so that I limit my computer time to mornings, at work and evenings when kids have gone to bed.  I do not want my computer time to take away opportunities to be with my children, exercising or learning new things through different avenues. 

It is so easy to get sucked in to the quick access of technology.  I am glad I participated, noticed and am changing my computer habits.  It will be better for me and my family.

3 comments:

  1. While we limit screen time, I do love a good television show at the end of the day. Still, I know just how you feel about the computer sucking up time. I open the laptop with the intention of writing and then spend way too much time following link after link to interesting things. I missed No Screen Week, but it will be interesting to set weekly limits and goals to be more conscious of screen time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tuesday our internet was down for nine hours and I felt like my arm had fallen off. How dependent we have become on technology. I wonder what did we ever do before all the instant gratification. Maybe a slice developing for me. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wasn't it nice to unplug a bit? Sometimes technology feels like it has its grip on me!

    ReplyDelete