Friday, April 26, 2013

Foto Friday

In learning how to maximize my understanding and correct usage of operating my Nikon D3200 to the best of my ability, I have decided to take it S-L-O-W. Each week I will focus on one or two camera features (depending on the complexity). I will read information and practice using the feature(s) in my picture taking.


Week #2 ~ Point and Shoot Photography
                ~ Scene Mode

This week I looked for shots to fit each of the "modes".  Below you will see one picture for each of the scene mode settings on the Nikon D3200 camera.


 Dowses Beach
(Portrait)

Not Following the Rules
(Action Mode)

Walking the Jetty/Beach
(landscape)

 Kids Being Crazy
(Kids)

Flowers Blooming at the Botanical Gardens
(Close Up)

 
I'm not sure what it is that the camera actually does differently with each setting. I know it has to do with lighting, speed and aperture.  As I move into using the manual mode I will compare my scene mode pictures with manual taken pictures to observe and make changes for improvements.  The modes are a great way to assist an amateur photographer.  It helped me keep in mind the type of subjects to look for when photographing and to be aware that with each of these modes the eye will be paying attention to the subject differently to make the best photo.

This week when framing subjects I tried to be cognizant of space, lighting and shadows.When taking pictures I tried to take a number of frames of the same subject making subtle changes. Sometimes just the smallest change made the biggest difference. Looking back at my pictures this week I learned that the best photos were either the very close subjects, or the pictures taken further away. Pictures I took with a lot of middle ground were not as appealing to me. I also noticed that extra color or objects in the background are not needed, and do not enhance a photo.  They often distract and take away from the focus. 

Photography really is a lot of trial and error and consistent practice.  I would like to understand the difference between "auto" and "scene" modes".  Are there differences in exposure if a person has their picture taken in auto mode versus portrait mode?  With my photos, I feel there are too many variables to tell.  More to explore...
 

Until next week . . . Smile :) Sonria :)


4 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a fun day at the beach! I love the way you are breaking down this complex goal into "baby steps"-great modeling for students who tend to "bite off more than they can chew."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that you are doing a blog about your Passion Project! I really adore the picture of Charlie and Helana going crazy! Cute!

    ~Meghana :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing the blog is helping me improve my writing and keepin g on track with my Passion Project goals. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
    2. That's a nice idea! I may try it out, and see if it suits me!

      ~Meghana :D

      Delete