Sunday, April 21, 2013

I'm a Fan...





 
...of Linda Urban

I fallen in love with Linda Urban's writing. Every book I have encountered I feel connected to the characters, and I come away thinking she has captured me as a young girl or one of my past or present students. 

First, it was Hound Dog True. Mattie is a young girl struggling to fit in, her shyness being her biggest obstacle. I could relate because I was and still am shy. My favorite quote from this book being, "You can't have brave without scared." Those very words are what finally got me to write. Write because I am a writing teacher. I need to model for my students and I want to get better. I need to practice what I preach. I tell my students that all learning requires practice,  practice makes better. I am glad Mattie was brave in finding comfort in who she is and for being an insightful young girl.





After finishing Mattie's story in one sitting I knew I needed to find other books Linda authored. Zoe, a fifth grader from A Crooked Kind of Perfect was her next character I was introduced to. Urban's simple writing made me feel I was truly listening in on a pre-teen, "I have gone over to the dork side." A typical thought and feeling of a girl struggling with friends and family. Zoe made me laugh with her frank way of speaking. She is real and true to herself.  She is also dedicated to piano playing with a sense of responsibility, "You can't just get up and walk away every time you mess up. You'd never get anywhere.” Another great lesson for readers to take away from Linda's believable characters.



I eagerly awaited the release of The Center of Everything and it did not disappoint. Linda does a fabulous job of creating a thoughtful and worrisome character, Ruby, who as most youth, think that she and her problems are the center of everything. Too often we minimize kids worries, but they are small adults with loads of questions and worries. Linda portrays this in Ruby's struggle to make sense of her world and for her wish to come true.  She has a typical friendship with Lucy where there is misunderstanding and reconciliation, and then there is Nero. A boy who may annoy some for his asking "why"about everything, but in my book is wise for his years. I love his questioning the world and wish more people would not just take information at face value. He will be successful in life.


When I have book talked a title of Linda's to my students, a waiting list is quickly filled and the book begins to be passed around the classroom. I can't wait to share her latest, The Center of Everything. Linda's books are appealing to a fifth grade audience (and I can be very convincing), so I anticipate a reading lottery and a lengthy waiting list starting tomorrow in Room B023. 


There are two more books of Linda's that I have not (yet) read and I look forward to all future books she publishes.  If you haven't already, I hope you embark on the the realistic journey Urban brings you on in her books.



No comments:

Post a Comment