Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Finding Our Words

Tuesday Slice of Life Challenge ...
I am excited to explore my newest passion, writing,
with slicers from Two Writing Teachers.
 



As I sit here struggling to find the right words for my post I can't help but think of my dad who just had a stroke. The stroke effected the left side of his brain, the language center. He has aphasia. A condition that has taken both receptive and expressive language from him. His brain is full of  knowledge and experiences from the last 84 years of  his life. He knows people, places and things, but he struggles to put words to match those faces, names and objects. His eyes and mannerisms communicate his fear, frustration, sadness, recognition and hope. 

 
Putting things in perspective I know that trying to find the right words to write today are not nearly as important as my dad learning words again so he can express his thoughts, needs and wants.  I have not lost the written word, I merely have the desire to improve.  Re-learning language to communicate through spoken words is a long and difficult process. With hard work and determination I have faith that we will both succeed in finding our words.

3 comments:

  1. I can't imagine how difficult it must be for your father, and for you as you watch him struggle. I suspect some of my students feel as lost as he does when they try to write. Some of them are still trying to master that whole writing thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again and again we are faced with the importance of words. May we all find them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for joy for you both as you travel on this journey of finding the words again.

    ReplyDelete