Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Marathon Monday

Tuesday Slice of Life Challenge ...
I am excited to explore my newest passion, writing,
with slicers from Two Writing Teachers.



 
 
Marathon Monday is a joyous day. An occasion many Bostonians and surrounding towns look forward to year after year. After yesterday it will never quite be the same. My eyes tear up, my heart breaks a little more each time I get a glance at the news.


Ever since I was young, I cheered on the thousands of runners. Whether I was at the starting line in Hopkinton or along the route in Ashland, Natick, Heartbreak Hill, Kenmore Square or volunteering at the finish line in Boston, I did not miss the opportunity to be a part of Boston's and my family's tradition to encourage the inspiring individuals to complete their goal or dream of finishing 26.2 miles. It was watching these dedicated runners, that sparked a desire in me to one day run and finish the Boston Marathon. I did it not once, but three times (all unofficial, as a bandit).


Yesterday, as I was watching from the sidelines, as I do each third Monday of April, I felt the community come together as one. The spectators line the streets with encouraging signs, cups of water and oranges to hand off to the athletes. People watch for and anticipate the blue lights and sounds of a police car siren that announces the approaching elite runners. After three waves of runners, the sidelines continue to stay packed with people praising, applauding and offering high-fives to every last participant that runs, walks, limps and struggles by to the finish line. The kindness, the happiness, the smiles, laughs, dedication and determination was in the air. As the runners pass they smile, wave, and even thank their cheerleaders. The Boston Marathon is a race for both the runners and spectators. It is amazing how Boston communities come out of the woodwork to cheer on strangers. For the duration of 26.2 miles there are people to cheer on the runners. The spectators are as dedicated as the runners. Someone, somewhere took that joy away April 15, 2013.


But, I have faith. Bostonians and marathoners will be back. I will be back. I vowed that someday, again I would endure the 26.2 miles. I feel I still have one left in me if I dig deep enough. More than ever I am dedicated to making that happen. I will not let evil defeat Boston's tradition. It is part of who we are as a city and who I am as an individual.



My prayers and love go to families, friends, runners, spectators and the city of Boston. Peace!


5 comments:

  1. No, do not let evil destroy that tradition, Kristen. We must be resilient at times like this (even though it feels so hard).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire runners, their dedication and fortitude. I'm so sorry for everyone in Boston. I know it will not defeat you or this incredible city. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you!!! Never ever let the evil decide your feelings...your fears! Stay strong and like all the other times we will stand together as proud Americans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand so much how you feel. The community comes together. In many ways the marathon was a national icon. We cannot let senseless violence take away our freedom, our lives, our community. We must be resilient in the face of tragedy. I have been inspired by the hero stories, but for now the TV is off. My eyes are tired of watching. My ears are tired of hearing. I want to feel hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked what my nephew said: 'Mourn the loss. Hope the worst is over. But please, have perspective, we don't live in fear.' I heard this from your post too.
    Jackie http://familytrove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete