Tuesday, July 30, 2013

A Football Family



Join slicers at Two Writing Teachers
every Tuesday for the Slice of Life Challenge ...




Your summer changes when your kid decides to join the football team. Summers schedules are dictated by the practice season which starts the first week of August, Monday-Thursday from 6:00-8:00. That means vacation plans are set for July and any August activities or spontaneous adventures are often cut short to be back for practice. Mornings are lazy because your player in training is exhausted and sore and wants to sleep the morning away.  

With that being said, the camaraderie among parents and teammates are encouraging to any first time football family. Parents watch, cheer, and socialize on the sidelines as all teams practice on the same fields and at the same time. Walking towards the fields, anticipating a night of sweating, groaning and cheering there is such a sense of community and belonging among the crowd. Watching the players, I am proud and impressed with their hard work, dedication, and character building gained though the team sport.

The season has just begun. I am learning along with my son, the schedule, the equipment, the players, the coaches, the positions, and I am loving every minute of it!  We are looking forward to a fun and rewarding season. GO RANGERS! 



3 comments:

  1. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! My boys are 18 and 19, this is the first year in 11 years I have not had anyone at home playing football! I miss these days when football consumed a huge percentage of our waking hours from July to November!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No football players at our house but this reminds me of the song Boys of Fall by Kenny Chesney. I love this time of year. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your post! What a fun transition in life. My daughter is only three but my July travel was dictated by her gymnastics and dance class schedule. Nothing could interfere since these were activities that she had been asking to do for quite some time (she is finally old enough). But, back to football...my nephew has played football since 5th grade in which we have attended as many games as possible. This fall he'll be a freshman so now we'll be attending high school games on Friday nights. I love football season. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete