Tuesday, July 16, 2013

A Teacher's Schedule

Join slicers at Two Writing Teachers
every Tuesday for the Slice of Life Challenge ...




A teacher's schedule is a dream in my eyes. 

I love the scheduled days throughout the year.  Working five days towards goals and curriculum expectations. The weekends off are a perfect break for regrouping and family time. The unscheduled time of summer allows for setting our own daily plans. We may choose for a leisurely morning, time with family or professional development in our pjs. I love the opportunity to be spontaneous, to make last minute plans to meet friends or go to the beach for the day.  It also provides time for independent learning, time for professional development of choice and planning for a new year with a new set of students.

The most difficult adjustment within our schedule is working so closely with colleagues throughout the school year to not seeing them on a regular basis or at all during the summer months. We spend so much time together planning curriculum,  to grade level meetings, team meetings to eating lunch together that a break from each other is probably a healthy thing, but, I miss my colleagues.

Tonight I had the pleasure to meet two of my very close colleagues and friends. It was great to see that already the summer sun has given them a healthy glow and a rejuvenation that all teachers need and crave. Laughing and sharing stories over dinner and a cocktail reminded me how lucky I am to have great friends and colleagues and how fortunate I am to love my job, and have the best schedule ever! 


4 comments:

  1. I hear your appreciation and gratitude. That refreshes and uplifts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen,
    Your description of what summer looks like for you (and probably for many of us) was spot on! I am enjoying this summer so much despite deadlines, self- and other-imposed, that I am thinking that retirement wouldn't be so bad!
    Regards,
    Elisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your upbeat feelings about a teacher's schedule! It really sounds as if you have the right blend to your days and weeks...and that you are loving summer! Continue to enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our schedule is demanding, but refreshing. So glad you were able to meet up and enjoy the evening together!

    ReplyDelete